Sunday, October 26, 2014

22,880 Steps

My legs hurt.

I did a lot of walking yesterday.

But before I tell you about that.  I have to tell you about my new obsession with tracking my movement.  About a month ago, it was time to upgrade my phone.  (It's a thing I do every two years.  That's how I roll.)  It just so happens that the time that my upgrade is available every 2 years happens to coincide with the time that Apple releases a new iPhone.  So naturally, I got the iPhone 6.  One of the fancy new features it has is Health Book which shows me handy dandy graphs of all sorts of things about my health.  It looks like this:
As you can see, I haven't taken very many steps today (Sunday).  It turns out that driving to church, walking around the building a little bit, driving home and walking around a little bit at home doesn't amount to lots of walking.  Luckily, I really needed an ice cream sandwich out of the basement freezer, so I have at least climbed one flight today.  But you can also see that yesterday was an epic day with 22,880 steps and 10.43 miles.

I didn't intend for it to be a record breaking day.  But here's the thing.  On Saturday mornings, I always watch a movie on the treadmill.  I crank up the incline so that it's like I'm hiking.  I'm trying to train for longer hikes so that I can do some more hardcore backpacking.  (I know my phone thinks I only climbed one flight yesterday, but the treadmill said I climbed a good 2000 feet or so.)

In October, my treadmill movies are always scary movies because I can DVR them all throughout the month, and consume them at my leisure.  I particularly love that I can get R rated movies that are edited.  Apparently I'm the only person on the planet who enjoys scary movies but doesn't particularly enjoy foul language, gore and explicit sex.

Yesterday's treadmill feature was A Nightmare on Elm Street.  I walked a good 5 miles while Freddy haunted the dreams of various children, but then I needed to watch some News because I've recently become obsessed with the status of the ebola virus in the United States.

I had to stop the treadmill to take a picture of this.  I was amused that it said, "Doctor Who survived ebola."  If anyone can survive ebola, it's a time lord.
So I watched the news for a bit, and ended up walking an additional 1.4 miles, bringing my total to 6.4 miles on the treadmill.  I thought my exercise was done for the day, but I was wrong.

That evening, we drove the truck to Pleasant Grove to pick up some things for my sister.  On the way back, the truck ran out of gas.  Apparently, the gas mileage has severely dropped recently.  Since the gas gauge doesn't work, I've always filled it up when it gets to 300 miles on the trip meter.  That has always worked for me.  I've gone as far as 320 miles without it being a problem.  The meter was at 293 miles and it was bone dry.  We were a little over a mile from the nearest gas station, so  I got to do some more exercise as  I walked my little self to the station, and walked back with a gallon of gas.

I know this happened before.  I've learned my lesson.  I will now fill it up when it hits 250 miles.  I could get the gas gauge fixed, but that seems like it might be taking things a little too far.

The good news is that we filled up the truck with gas, and everyone arrived home safely.  Robyn was slightly cranky that she had to wait in the truck for me to walk a few miles when it was clearly dinner time, but other than having to eat a late dinner we all survived.

But most importantly, my phone was super impressed with how many steps I took yesterday.  And isn't impressing our devices what life is about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...