Wednesday, March 30, 2016

My Nominations for the 2016 Hugo Awards

I just got an email from the administrators of the Hugo Award.  It turns out that all nominations are due tomorrow.  So I finally sat down and figured them out.  As always, my reading of new stuff is a little bit sparse, so even though I can nominate up to 5 in each category, I don't have 5 works in most categories.  But,  I do have some great ones even if the slate isn't full.  Here they are.  I linked to where you could get these works where possible.  I also put a link to my review on the ones where such exists.

Best Novel
The Dark Forest is the sequel to last year's Hugo winner.  I am loving the series and looking forward to the third.  It's one of the most unique science fiction stories I've read in a long time.  Of course, the other two I nominated are excellent as well.
The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin (My review)
Chimera by Mira Grant (My review)
Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs (My review)

Best Novella:
The New Mother was fascinating and a little bit frightening.  An excellent story.  Of course, Rolling the Deep is about scary mermaids.   Both are excellent.


The New Mother by Eugene Fischer -  Asimov's April/May 2015
Rolling in the Deep by Mira Grant (My review)

Best Novelette:
Pareidolia by Kathleen Bartholomew and Kage Barker  - Asimov's March 2015

Best Short Story:
When Your Child Strays From God by Sam J. Miller -  Clarkesworld July 2015
Tuesdays by Suzanne Palmer  - Asimov's March 2015
Cat Pictures Please by Naomi Kritzer - Clarkesworld January 2015
Holding The Ghosts by Gwendolyn Clare - Asimov's March 2015

Best Graphic Story:
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed  by G. Willow Wilson

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form):
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 
The Martian 
Jurassic World  
Terminator: Genisys
Avengers: Age of Ultron 

Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form):
Doctor Who - The Zygon Inversion 
Doctor Who - The Zygon Invasion 
Agents of Shield - Melinda 
Grimm - Wesenrein 
Agents of Shield - Afterlife 

Best Professional Editor (Short Form):
Ellen Datlow 
Hank Davis 
Sheila Williams 
John Joseph Adams 

Best Professional Editor (Long Form):
Toni Weisskopf

2 comments:

  1. I'm always excited to read your nominations. I am not a nominator, but if so, I would have nominated Doctor Who for "Heaven Sent." It was my favorite episode of the season. Also, I haven't read it yet, but if I were nominating I would have made the time to read "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson. Based on the reviews I've heard from friends, I think it may be the best SF novel of 2015. I guess I will be able to make a more informed judgement after I read it and "The Dark Forest" (both of which aI have on hold at the library).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...