Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunbeams Strike Again

Today was an important day in history.  You see, Robyn is in charge of girl's camp for the Young Women in our ward, so she hasn't been teaching the sunbeams with me because she's been involved with planning girl's camp.  Girl's camp will be this week so starting next week I will have Robyn back.  She's much better with them anyway, so it will be good.  For my final time without Robyn I had Cameron come be my teaching partner because he is great.

The children were particularly amusing today.  During singing time, which is the time when the sunbeams sit there and find anything to do besides sing, one of the little boys put his hand on my stomach and said, "You're fat."  I did my best to look offended but one of the other boys saw his hand on my stomach and decided he wanted to rub my belly.  So he gets up from his chair and comes over to rub my belly.  I thought it was hilarious, and this is why I am not a good primary teacher.  My first instinct is to laugh rather than tell them they need to stay in their chairs.

One of the little boys has a "future missionary" tag that he wears every week.  I asked him if he was going to be a missionary someday.  He said, "No, I don't like missionaries."  I told him I was a missionary once and he said, "I changed my mind.  I want to be a missionary.  I like missionaries."  I hope this means that he thinks I'm cool enough that if  I was a missionary once then they must be cool.  More likely, he just didn't want to offend me.

Another time, one of the children pointed to my mole and asked why I had a ball on my face. I told him it makes me pretty, because all the big supermodels have moles. He looked at me with a look of disdain, as if to say, "You really don't know what you're talking about."

The best scenario of all probably won't be funny to read.  I wish I had a picture.  We were learning about feelings today.  I had the kids show me what they would look like if they were happy, or mad, or sad.  At one point, I asked a kid to show us what he would look like if he was in love.  He got a far off look in his eye and a crazy grin.  I'm pretty sure he must have been in love at some point.  He captured it perfectly.  These kids know more than they let on.

10 comments:

  1. You did a great job with them and I am sure that you are way more fun then I am. I wish I could have seen the loving face, but I can picture it being hilarious. Thanks for being such a trooper these last few months. I know it wasn't easy for you, but it really helped me in my other calling. I love you tons and just pray I make it though camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me help out. It is was a joy. Had I only known how comical singing time was going to be I would have told Robyn to go to Sunday School and I would have joined in primary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Love it.

    Good job to Robyn for taking on YW camp. Ward or stake? Ours in in August when I'm almost 9 months pregnant. Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you were my teacher when I was young. I would have rubbed your belly too. Though I don't think I knew at that age what it was like to be in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, I can just picture this. Too bad there wasn't a video camera. It would have made the viral list on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. someday, I'll know what it looks like to be in love. Until then, I will have to rely on your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious. I love that the kid with the "Future Missionary" tag didn't like missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Sunbeam stories! You are a natural with them. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...