Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Verifiable Truth

The other day Robyn told me I was the "best husband in the world".  Of course, I didn't doubt that it was true.  But I was just curious about the data she had gathered before making such a statement.  Had she gathered a large sample?  Did she know the margin of error for that statement?  Did she take into account the standard deviation for her polling set?  So I asked her, "Wouldn't you have to marry every man in the world before you could be sure of that?"

She answered that she didn't have to marry them all because she could just observe them.  I figured that was probably true but I was still concerned that she might have obtained too small of a sample to extrapolate who the very best could be.  I asked her, "Then wouldn't you at least have to observe every husband in the world to really know who is the best?"

She pondered briefly and then told me, "You're the best husband that I've ever observed."  I thought for a moment.  Her statement was completely verifiable with the data she had available to her.  We had reached complete truth.  But it wasn't nearly as satisfying.

Perhaps it is okay to exaggerate beyond your ability to verify the data.  Could that be true?

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, you have a way of ruining the moment. I try to say something super nice and you get all logical on me. Next time I will make a pie chart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, I like the pie chart idea. That is an excellent way to share data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMmmmm pie. How do I get in on this?

    This is how I feel: Robyn can observe a large sample and decide that you are the best then she can do some simple extrapolating. From that she can figure that you are the best husband in the world...so far...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just like that she thinks your the best whether it is verifiable or not.I think you should just keep being the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just like that she thinks your the best whether it is verifiable or not.I think you should just keep being the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...