Monday, February 9, 2009

Our Sudden Popularity

Robyn and I love being married, and we are each other's best friend so we totally enjoy spending time just the two of us. But we have both discussed how we occasionally miss the time we used to spend with all of our friends. When we were dating and I still had other guys living with me, I would often come home to discover that there was a party happening at my house that I didn't know about. I loved it, it was an effortless way to participate in social events. Robyn and I would often attend for a while and then go have alone time afterward. So we have both missed having unplanned visitors. That brings me to the story of our sudden popularity.

When I got home from church yesterday, there was a voicemail from a girl in our former singles ward. Her message was about one of my former roommates. She said that his current roommates hadn't seen him for several days. Apparently alot of people missed him at church and he wasn't answering his cell phone, so they called his family to see if he had gone home for the weekend, and the family hadn't seen him either. He calls his family, though, every Sunday at 4:00 so everyone was holding their breath to see if he would call at 4. When he didn't, his family filed a missing person report with the police. At the time I didn't know all this was going on because all she said in the message was that she was wondering if I had seen him because they hadn't had any contact with him. I wasn't too worried because I knew that he did enjoy taking little road trips by himself to clear his head.

About 15 minutes after we had gotten the message, he showed up at our house. He was unaware that he was a missing person. He had taken a short trip to Reno to spend some time alone and do some thinking, and he had misplaced his cell phone before he left. He wanted to borrow something to use for his ward FHE and so he stopped by our house before going home. We called the girl back who had left a message and let her know he was here. Well, she immediately came over and told him how she had been in contact with his family and they thought he was dead and what not. He called his mom right then and there and let her know he was okay. She also texted everyone in the world saying that we had found him. We totally got to be the heroes of the day even though all we did was chill at home. We then got to hang out for a bit and there was another knock at the door. It was a member of our old bishopric. He had heard about our heroism and came to see if it was true. It was the most spontaneous visitors we had had in a long time.

We were popular, we were heroes, what more could we ask for? And the best news is that my former roommate was safe and sound. That is the story of our sudden popularity.

11 comments:

  1. no way. I almost stopped by last night. I'm serious. But, not for that reason...I didn't even hear about that. Technically, I was going to call robyn and see if I could come by for a bit but I felt like it was too late when I left ward prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, if I weren't a bajillion miles away I'd totally randomly stop by.

    Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a crazy story. I'm glad your old roommate was found!

    And I, too, love random drop-bys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Knock, Knock*

    "Hi, is this the...Jeff and Robyn Stockett household? Oh good, I've come by to confirm the rumors that I have heard. Are you really THE ONES that found 'He who was lost'?! It is an honor to meet such heroes in a day and time when..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this post made me think of this song I heard once before...the lyrics are perfect! (Especially where it's talking about not having a reservation and just wanting to go) =)

    You can listen to it here and read the lyrics here.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to point out that I randomly dropped by last week but you weren't there. I am trying to increase your popularity. We'll see what I can do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two have always been heroes in my book. I'm glad to hear you still enjoy an occasional pop-in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are even popular in the blogging world. They like us, they really like US!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, you are so popular!! I am so happy that all was well with the roommie and that you felt loved again. P.S. I always loved you! (And see...I commented on your blog without even being told you blogged!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a crazy story! I'm glad your roomy was safe and good, and that you got to be Heroes! Matt and I never get to be heroes... bummer

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I was never cool in school. You probably don't remember me..." Ben Folds Five. Maybe one day I'LL be popular.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...