Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Princeton

This is yet another installment about what I did on my business trip to New Jersey.  One of the places I really wanted to check out was Princeton.

I drove to Princeton and parked at the Nassau Inn.  Apparently George Washington stayed there once.  But I was there just because they had parking close to the campus and all the good restaurants.

 I wandered around the campus of Princeton University.  I didn't necessarily have a destination in mind.  (Although, the one thing I wanted to make sure I saw was the chapel.)  I mainly just wanted to get a feel for the campus.  It's crazy to think that Princeton University is older than our nation.

I loved walking around and just looking at the architecture of some of the buildings.  It had such a gothic feel to it.

I finally made my way to the Princeton Chapel.  I read somewhere that it is the largest church on University campus in the United States, so I was excited to see it.  Naturally, I walked right in.

I love churches.  I love to explore the different ways that different faiths honor God.  The Princeton chapel is absolutely stunning.
The view from the back of the chapel.

Standing at the front, looking toward the pulpit.

Some of the pews.
 There were a few people sitting in the pews. (Not pictured)  Some were chatting.  Others doing homework.  Some were just sitting there contemplating.  I love that Princeton has a place where a student can go and quietly commune with Heaven.  Much the same way a BYU student could go to the temple.
A decorative bust

A statue along the wall.
 After exploring the church, I resumed exploring the campus.  I came upon a building that looked like a library.  I could see rows and rows of bookshelves.  I was excited.  Princeton is where smart people go.  I love books, so maybe Princeton books are better than regular books.  I walked in, only to discover that it was the art library.  It was filled with books about art.  I decided I wasn't interested in that.  I'm pretty sure I lost all the culture points I got from going to Grounds For Sculpture earlier.
But on the way out of the art library, I did get to see this paradoxical sign that violates its own rule.
 After exploring campus, I walked Nassau street (the main street of Princeton) to explore downtown.
I discovered this gem.  Unfortunately, I had already eaten.  But I totally want to come back on Pi day.  I bet they have a great party.
I wish I had planned my exploration of the downtown a little better.  By the time I was doing that, all the shops were closed.  I really wanted to explore some of the book stores.  ( I just wanted to buy a book in Princeton.  I know the same books are sold on Amazon, but it just sounds smarter if you say it came from Princeton.)

I didn't get to buy a Princeton book, but I did really enjoy my time in Princeton.  If I ever go back, I'm going early enough to buy a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...