Monday, April 21, 2014

Comic Con 2014

This past weekend I had the chance to attend the third largest Comic Con in the nation.  (Apparently, there are a lot of geeks in Utah.)  Though, I've never actually read a comic book, I fit right in at Comic Con.  While there is plenty of celebration of comics, it's really all about whatever stories you love or whatever geeky thing you are passionate about.

Do you love Star Trek?  You can geek out about the TNG cast.

The whole cast rode by on little golf carts.  I was 6 feet from Captain Picard and he totally looked at me.
Do you love Star Wars?  You can meet an AT-ST in person.
This was my favorite costume of the whole Con.
 Or hang out with bounty hunters.
 Or just chill with Lando Calrissian.
It was $40 to get a signed picture, but a creepy stalker picture was free.
 Or hang out with R2D2.
R2D2 was just walking (rolling?) around letting people take his picture.  
Maybe you like Dr. Who.  You could step inside the Tardis.
We were so happy, it didn't even matter that there was a dalek ready to exterminate us.
 Or cower in front of a weeping angel.

Do you like video games?  You could meet the characters from Mortal Kombat.
Maybe you like X-Men.  You could watch Wolverine battle himself.
I think one of them is actually Mystique, but I can't tell which one.
 Or you could hear Professor Xavier speak.
It's amazing how similar he looks to Captain Picard above.
If you just like animals, you could hold 2 snakes at once.
Robyn didn't come with me on Saturday.  Clearly, she would have been too frightened to be in my presence while I did this.
If you like Lord of the Rings, you could meet Thorin Oakenshield.
All in all, it was super fun.  I really enjoyed the broad array of genres that were represented.  As fun as it is to see celebrities, and listen to panels, my favorite part is walking around and seeing all the costumes.  I didn't wear one, but I need to in the future.

I think the funniest part of Comic Con was when it was all over.  I had parked at the Gateway mall, so I walked back to the parking garage.  In the garage, I walked by some high school kids going out to dinner before Prom.  I looked at the tux and the dress and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what their costume was.  Then I realized, I was in the regular world and it wasn't a costume, just fancy clothes for Prom.

It's disappointing to rejoin the real world.

Edit:  After I wrote this, I noticed that the Salt Lake Tribune took a picture of me being paparazzi to Patrick Stewart.  Here is their pic:

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had fun. I would have been excited about Captain Picard. I would NOT have been excited about the snakes. Good thing there's something for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't fit in at Comic Con and yet I love to go (especially when Nathan Fillion is there and looking mighty fine)! I'm sad I didn't run into you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking me with you so I could experience it with you. Oh and thanks for waiting until I was not there to hold the snakes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...