Saturday, December 24, 2011

My own Christmas Carol

Christmas is awesome.  I love spending time with family, eating delicious food, giving gifts, receiving gifts, and listening to great Christmas music.

There's one song that I've heard a lot on the radio.  The lyrics don't quite jive with the way I see things.  So I decided to rewrite the song the way I would have written it.  Here goes:

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart.
The very next day you gave it away.
This year, to save me from tears, I'm gonna hunt that other guy down and get my heart back.  It's been a rough year being heartless.  Once I get it back, I'm not going to give it to frivolous girls like you who give out hearts like candy.  The heart is a very important organ, you know?  I'm going to protect it.  I'm going to treat it like my precious.  Somewhat like Gollum.  But not in a "lose it to Bilbo Baggins and follow it all the way to Mordor and end up in a pit of molten lava" sort of way, but more in the "stroke it and call it 'my precious' and tell everyone it was a birthday present" sort of way.
What do you think?  I kind of like it, but perhaps there's a reason I don't write songs.  I'm just glad that Robyn didn't give my heart away.  I am free to pump blood through my body for the entire holiday.

Merry Christmas Eve!

9 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble conceptualizing how these new lyrics fit the melody and rhythm of the original song. Perhaps you could record and post a demonstration? It would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if I were writing the song I would have altered the melody and rhythm as well. But maybe I'll do a demo. It will be a youtube sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could just give it to someone special? That could proly save you from tears. Good luck with that though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff I anxiously await the youtube video demonstration sensation. It would answer all the perplexities i've had about the other not-so-awesome version of that song. Please keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. I think I need to adopt that song for my mantra.... But what does it have to do with your life?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The song doesn't apply to my life. Except that I hear the original song a billion times every year. Each of those billion times are a part of my life, so that's why I feel justified in saying that it was important for me to rewrite the song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That song is my least favorite song that has ever existed. Ever. Your version is far more acceptable and more logical. I also support you recording it, I have many talented friends that can help you accomplish this if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you need to work on making it rhyme a little better. It does have a much better message than the original though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your rendition of the song is so much better, omg.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...