Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Valentine's Waterfall

I had a fantastic Valentine's Day.  Of course, the best part was the person I spent it with, so I'm pretty sure it would have been great no matter what.  But I did enjoy the activities that were associated with Valentine's Day this year.

It all really started the night before, on Valentine's Eve.  Robyn and I generally don't like to go out to dinner on Valentine's Day because it's super crowded.  We usually go out that weekend, but since Valentine's Day was on the weekend we figured both Friday and Saturday everywhere would be packed.  So Robyn volunteered to make us a fancy dinner Friday night to celebrate.  She made Shrimp Scampi with some asparagus and mushrooms.  It was fantastic!  I'm pretty sure Robyn makes better food than most restaurants so I will never complain about a home cooked meal.
Robyn is modeling the delicious meal she made.

Since we weren't going to go out for dinner, Robyn told me I was in charge of taking her out for breakfast on Saturday.  That was basically the greatest idea known to man.  I got a delicious home cooked dinner and then I got a delicious restaurant cooked breakfast.  I took her to Callie's Cafe in Orem.  I had killer hash browns.  (If you've never had killer hash browns, you need to.  They are basically the greatest thing that ever happened to breakfast.)

After breakfast, we wanted to go on a hike.  This time of year is fairly difficult to find a good hiking spot, because most of the best ones are covered in snow.  We found one that wasn't completely covered, but it certainly wasn't snow free.  We did a little hike in Bell Canyon.

It started out snow free, at the trail head.  We got to wander through some beautiful woods, and hike next to a beautiful river.
Well hello there, river.
As we started to climb into higher elevation, we encountered snow.

Luckily, Robyn looked totally cute in the snow.
As you can see in the picture above, the snow wasn't deep, and since it's a high traffic trail, it had all been packed down anyway.  But that was part of the problem.  All the snow that had been packed down and frozen was super slippery.  It was fun on flat areas such as the picture above, but other areas weren't so flat.

This is an example of a not flat area.
Whether you were going up or going down, there was difficulty with the ice.  It was also difficult because sometimes it just looked like mud, but it turned out it was ice covered in mud.  Luckily, there were plenty of trees to hold onto.  I never actually fell, but I definitely slipped a few times and did one of those moves where you run in place as you're trying to get your feet back under you.

It took us a lot longer than we had originally anticipated, but we eventually arrive at the waterfall, which was our destination.


It's important for Robyn to do her pose in front of the waterfall.

Also important is my hands in my pocket pose.

Selfies are the most important.
After our photo shoot, Robyn made sure to go stand on a rock in a way that looked like she would fall to her death.
Good news: she didn't fall to her death.
It was a great experience.  We had a lot of fun, and I'm glad that I got to see an icy, snowy waterfall.  We went to Bridal Veil Falls last week, which is an annual winter tradition, because I love to see it all frozen.  Unfortunately, winter didn't show up for that visit, so I was glad that winter decided to make an appearance.

All in all, it was a great Valentine's Day.  Beautiful food, beautiful waterfall, beautiful girl.  What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...