Sunday, September 5, 2010

Chocolate Emergency

"Our world faces a true planetary emergency."
-Al Gore

For once in his life, Al Gore was correct.  He may not have known the nature of the emergency, but Robyn and I experienced it last night.

You see, in the nearly two years that I have been married I have learned something about the chemical makeup of females.  There is something in them that causes dire circumstances when they do not have chocolate.  It can come without warning.  One moment, they are fine, and the next they are approaching death.  Of course, I follow the boy scout motto which is "Be Prepared" so I always have an emergency stash in the house.  But what if the emergency comes when we are away from the house?

Well, Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of scouting, had this to say about preparation:
"Be Prepared... the meaning of the motto is that a scout must prepare himself by previous thinking out and practicing how to act on any accident or emergency so that he is never taken by surprise." 

I'll have you know, I was not taken by surprise.  I knew we didn't have time to go all the way home.  I took her to the grocery store on the way home.  We needed two kinds of chocolate.

A)We needed something to eat in the car on the way home to sustain her life.
This can be a very tricky thing to decide.


B)We also needed something more amazing to eat when we get home.
Robyn made an excellent choice.  This is why I don't mind chocolate emergencies.

Ahh.. Crisis averted.

10 comments:

  1. Oh that we could all learn to be prepared like you. I am also very glad that Robyn allowed you to enjoy the CHOCOLATE emergency!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a HUGE chocolate emergency, but that doesn't mean I don't need chocolate sometimes. That pie reminded me... have you ever had the Marie Callendar's chocolate satin pie? OH my gosh. If the pie you got was half as amazing, I'm so jealous. It's a good thing it's Sunday, because otherwise I think I'd need some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking care of me. I know I am ridiculous and irrational sometimes, but thanks for putting up with me any way. I love you. Oh and you are welcome to have chocolate emergencies too (or what ever suits your fancy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to send a message to the scout board. Perhaps they should make sure there is a section in the scout manual about what to do when your wife (or significant other) has a chocolate emergency. You should write it - you are clearly the merit badge expert! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was awesome. Jeff, I think you are the best husband ever, fo reals. Robyn, you're funny sometimes. Maybe you can help me understand females sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud that you quoted Baden-Powell as well as Al Gore and they both supported how essential it is to take care of a situation before it goes global. Clearly, this one could have gotten out of hand if you had been ill-prepared for it. I knew that Eagle would come in handy someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud that you quoted Baden-Powell as well as Al Gore and they both supported how essential it is to take care of a situation before it goes global. Clearly, this one could have gotten out of hand if you had been ill-prepared for it. I knew that Eagle would come in handy someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely relate to the chocolate emergency. It can hit so suddenly and be deathly if it goes untreated! You really are a good husband for understanding the urgency of Robyn's dilemma.

    And those pictures say it all. I think if you had only posted the pictures, I would have gotten the story behind it. Haha. Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think there are 2 women in the world that have never a chocolate emergency: Me ... and my sister. Is it possible we're not women?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listen, the facts are that there have always been ebbs and flows in the chocolate supply throughout history. It is a natural cycle our planet goes through. There is no reason to believe that Chocolate Emergencies are man-made in anyway. It's not to say that we shouldn't still be good stewards of our chocolate supply, but the entire blame can't be fully attributed to mankind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...