Sunday, March 15, 2009

3.14159265358979323846...

Pi Day - A Day of Happiness
As you all know, yesterday was pi day. It was a fabulous day. I woke up in the middle of the night and I looked at my watch to see what time it was and it was 3:14. Before I rolled over and went back to sleep I pondered for a moment that this was a sign that the day was going to be great. I mean, it was π AM on π 2009. The only thing that would have been cooler was if it was 1:59 AM and 26 seconds (3/14 1:59:26)

For those of you who don't know about pi day or have never celebrated it before, you should know that if you live in the United States it is now nationally recognized. I was amused by this quote from my representative, Jason Chaffetz: "I cannot support Pi Day as just one day. It should go on forever. I voted 'Nay.' It passed 391-10." Apparently now schools are supposed to celebrate it with math games and math awareness. (Because apparently schools were not making children aware of math before.)

I know in my math classes they said all sorts of erroneous things about pie. For example, they tried to teach me that "Pie are squared." I knew in my heart that I may not know everything, but I know my pies. I know that pies are round, and you get round by eating them, there is nothing squared about them. Later on in math I heard them say that "Four thirds pie are cubed." Well, that doesn't even make any sense. Four thirds of pies? You mean 133% of all pies are in cube shapes? This is when I knew someone had gone crazy.

At any rate, my pi day turned out to be quite fabulous. When I was at the grocery store and wished the checker a Happy Pi Day he seemed quite elated, and the bagger girl told him they should eat pie together to celebrate. (Ahhh, young love) That night we had a celebration that included several of my most favorite things. Pi, pie, good friends, my amazing wife, what more could I ask for? We ate pie, we listened to music, we visited, and all around had a great time.

10 comments:

  1. You could go on forever about Pi! Thanks for making it a great ending to a rough day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely the best pi post ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa said that you had the best post this time. I had to admit, it made me chuckle a bit.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pi are squared and we are round when we eat it. Aren't you glad I let you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phrases like "math awareness" always make me thing about D.A.R.E. Although, now I just realized that the 'A' in the acronym stands for "Abuse" and not "Awareness," so I'm not sure exactly why phrases like that make me think of D.A.R.E.

    I was gonna make a joke about M.A.R.E, but now Math Abuse Resistence Education just isn't funny anymore, as it is in direct opposition to the purpose of Pi Day!

    Ok, sorry about the awkward and seemingly painful argument I was having with myself. I'm ok now, I promise.

    Oh yeah...Go Math!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so this is the first time I've seen your blog and I must say, the writing is creative. Even made me laugh a bit. Of course, I'm unsure if you're actually meaning to be humorous, but whatever. I'll laugh. Come to our blog if you'd like:
    http://stratefamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pythagorus and Fibonnacci have nothing on you. I didn't laugh when I read their stuff. Yours is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you and I have been able to celebrate Pi and pie together for many years. It was a great festival, and how about that caramel apple pie?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget that 3/14 is also Einstein's b-day. Coincidence? I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...